Wednesday, August 10, 2011

[solved] iPod cannot be synced

After upgrading my iTunes to a newer version, I couldn't sync the songs to my iPod and 4GB were unaccessible. All songs were erased from my iPod as well. This message appeared:
The iPod cannot be synced. A duplicate file name was specified.
I copied and paste the error message above for a possible solution. Here's what I did, and it worked!
  1. Switch your Apple cable to a different USB port
  2. From the start menu, go to "Computer", and locate your iPod Right click your iPod, and select Properties. If you are on Windows 7, you can also select Properties from the Organize menu toolbar (top left corner of your screen)
  3. Under Tools and Error-checking, check "Check-now"
  4. Click on both "Automatically fix file system errors" + "Scan for and attempt recovery for bad sectors". Scan will start. This might take about 5-10 minutes
  5. Once the scan done, this message appeared, "Some problems were found and fixed"
  6. Disconnect your iPod
  7. Open iTunes
  8. Hook up iPod
  9. When iPod appears on iTunes, click on the iPod icon, and select Restore (at this level, you need to be connected to the internet)
  10. You will go through the restore program, and you'll be able to sync with your iPod again. 
Tip: If your scan did not work, on Step 5, restart your computer, while keeping your iPod plugged. Scanning will automatically start after reboot. Continue with Step 6-10.

Good luck!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It worked. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!! Most appreciated. Worked for me as well. Unfortunately the initial problem wiped my iPod (with songs I don't have anymore). But your fix means it's working again.

Anonymous said...

ANOTHER SOLUTION!!!!! I Bought an Ipod off craigslist and was having these problems. tried this and everything else and nothing worked. I thought the ipod was corrupted. So I Synced it to my brothers mac book(I have a pc) it synced fine so i know it wasn't the Ipod. Here's what I did to get it syncing. DON'T USE ITUNES!!! download sharepod to manager your ipod. works like a charm!!!