Sunday, June 5, 2011

KOKIA

I heard KOKIA for the first time when she sang Arigatou (meaning thank you in Japanese). Initially, I did not like the song at all, like most other sad melodies. Somehow, I kept on listening to her voice, and I'm now hooked to KOKIA. She sings beautifully, her voice is sublime, it is fragile and strong. She is a trained singer and musician, and is very appreciated in Europe, where she performed live.

Live performance in Paris. Youtube video by Kotankulukamui:


Lyrics translated
"Everyone loses something
Before they even realise it
I suddenly realise that you've gone
Leaving behind only memories
During the time we were busy, we lost our words
Like dolls
Like all those lost cats on the street corner
I hear a silent scream


If I could see you one more time
I just want to say one word: Thanks, Thanks


Even if we hurt each other
I want to keep feeling you
At least I have my memories to comfort me
I'll always have you here


If I could see you one more time
I just want to say one word: Thanks, Thanks


Even if we hurt each other
I want to keep feeling you..."


I notice that KOKIA likes to be barefooted on stage. Her voice is so amazing that she doesn't need to physically entertain the crowd much, except for moving her right arm during the entire song.



In this live performance, KOKIA sings Ave Maria. She has the voice of an angel. Youtube video by Poochie2poochie33:



KOKIA has inspired many young people on Youtube, including Loch3124side who self learned piano to play KOKIA's song, and non-Japanese like Kyandisouk and PiaMosca to sing her songs.

This video is from KOKIA channel, a song from her latest album Moment (2011-05-18). A perfect song to end this post:

1 comment:

Michelle said...

There’s a great post about KOKIA here which will interest you! http://www.mangauk.com/?p=karma-police