Wednesday, April 6, 2011

DIY dry box for DSLR


Instead of buying a dry cabinet, I've decided to use a clear air-tight container to store my camera, lens, and lens filters. I didn't get a hygrometer yet, to measure the humidity level, but all the rest are in there:

- silica gel packets (to absorb moisture)
- anti-slip padding (to prevent lens from slipping when carrying the box)

In addition, I've included a zip-block bag with extra silica gel inside to store my camera lens. This is not necessary at all, but I guess I'm too obsessed with having the lens clean and clear from fungus.


TIP: from what I understand, silica gel does not have an expiry date. It can become ineffective after absorbing too much moisture. You can easily restore it by drying it under the sun.

The camera wires, liquid cleaner, and others are stored outside the DIY dry box, in a separate container.

No comments: