Saturday, September 18, 2010

Red dragon fruit

I've seen these strange looking fruits before, but haven't really read about them until recently. I was surprised to learn that they are actually fruits of cactus species! I enthusiastically told DH about my finding, and he said, "Of course I knew that, you didn't???". Oh dear, I feel dumb now ;(.

costa-rice-pitaya

But hey, these would definitely give a great funky natural color if I would ever make ice cream or fruit shakes. Hmm... how about fruit salad? I'm already thinking of throwing the red dragon fruits, cut in cubes, into the fruit salad bowl, along with the white-fleshed dragon fruit, with Mexican mango, strawberries, blueberries, kiwis, honey dew, cantaloupe. Mmmmmm... dress them with plain yogurt, or even a fair whisk of honey with lemon juice and chopped fresh mint leaves. Wowwie fresh and colorful! Can't wait to make it!

red-dragon-fruit

The dragon fruits are also called Pitaya, and the red-fleshed are known as Costa Rica Pitaya. If you consume the red-fleshed dragon fruit, you'll notice reddish discoloration in your urine, yikes!

No comments: