Saturday, September 25, 2010

How to create a good Power Point slide

I was busy this week preparing presentation slides. Luckily, I've been briefed by pros who shared with me their experiences on what consists of an effective slide show, and I was so impressed by the incredible work they've done in the past. "Wow, you really did that?" In my mind, I wish I could do that too, hehe ;p

What I learned from them:
  • Presentation slide must tell a story. In simple terms, most stories are about "where we are", "where we want to be", and "how to get there".
  • Each slide title summarizes the content. It's the most important line that tells the reader the essence of the message. 
  • The content supports the message, usually graphs, pictures, numbers, etc.
Steve Jobs' name kept reappearing in our conversations for great presentations. So I did some research on the net and found: "The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs" on slideshare.net, a wee late though (for my own presentation slides preparation) but nonetheless...muahahaha, I'm glad I found it!!! Here's a summary of the slide by the author Carmine Gallo (after seeing the slides, I'm eager to read his book):
  • One third of time is spent on collecting and organizing ideas to sketch a story
  • One third is spent on building slides
    • his presentations are simple, easy to understand
    • and most important, they are visual
  • One third is spent on rehearsing
    • yes, can you believe that Steve rehearses at least 48 hours?
    • better yet, I'm surprised to learn that he's not a born presenter. Look at his presentation now. Practice does make perfect! 
The best quote of all: "People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."  (Maya Angelou).

Deliver experience, and you won't be forgotten.

    No comments: