Thursday, May 6, 2010

Cutlery 101

This is an old post I wrote about cutlery... it's very boring, but I figure that it would be good to transfer the information here before I delete my other blog :)

Cutlery generally means utensils used for eating food, such as knives, forks and spoons. In the States, however, cutlery has a more specific meaning for instruments and tools to cut food, while flatware is used to signify knives, forks and spoons. In my posts, I'll refer to the term cutlery.

Other than the silverware, which requires much care, most cutlery are made of stainless steel. How do you determine the quality of your cutlery? Well, first, you need to know that stainless steel is divided into 3 main categories: 18/0, 18/8, and 18/10, which refers to the composition of chromium and nickel. To give an easy explanation, chromium gives strength and nickel gives shine.

18/0 is for lower quality and magnetic;
18/8 is the composition for quality cutlery, as they are rust-resistant;
18/10 is rarely used for cutlery, but more for medical instruments.

A good finishing on an 18/8 can sometimes be misled for a 18/10.

No comments: