Friday, March 19, 2010

How to store rice

Rice weevils hatched in the wooden bucket where we stored our rice... and there were plenty of them growing. First, I thought it might be because the rice was old (which could be one of the reasons)... but the second new rice package also got infested, even though I thoroughly cleaned the wooden bucket before use. For the third new rice package, I transferred it in a new clean bag before storing it in the same wooden bucket, still infested! I wanted to continue to use the wooden bucket because it was a gift, but I guess it wasn't meant to store rice (sorry, I do not mean to offend anyone here, again). So it's now time to go back to my family's way of storing rice: airtight container and cool place (this way we usually don't have any problem).

If you can't find a big enough container or if you prefer to take double precaution, you can transfer the rice into Ziploc bags and freeze them for 3 days, then keep them in the fridge (see picture). If there's not enough space in the refrigerator, store portion or all your rice in several smaller airtight containers.


You can try and leave the original rice package carefully sealed in the wooden bucket. Let me know how it went... I might not want to experiment for a fourth time :(

If your rice has already been infested with weevils, the best way to get rid of them is to dry out the rice under direct sunlight. When all the weevils have "walked" away, transfer the rice in an airtight container, and keep it in a cool place.

Hope this helps. If you have other suggestions, would be great to hear about them. Leave a comment!

No comments: