Sunday, March 14, 2010

Homemade playdough

I never thought I'd be playing with Play-Doh again! DH thought it would be a great way for me to practice my fondant skills, isn't he a genius?! I know, I know, in my previous post, I announced my cupcake overdose... but I'm already missing the baking! I guess this can be called a passion? Hmm... not so fast, let's say it's a hobby for now :) Okay, since I cannot bake everyday, otherwise we'd be eating cupcakes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I've decided to make a homemade playdough to play around with. This way, I'd find something else to do, other than baking but related to baking!!!

I Google out the recipe (source:pedagonet.com). Here's what I got:

1 C. all-purpose flour
1/2 C. salt
2 T. cream of tartar (despite the name, it's actually a powder)
1 T. oil
1 C. water
food coloring (optional)

What I did:


In a saucepan, whisk all dry ingredients together. Then add the wet ingredients, and cook over medium heat. While the mixture is cooking, stir with a spoon until the mixture clumps (this will take about 2-3 minutes).


Knead the dough on your kitchen counter until it becomes smooth (about 30 seconds). This is the amount of dough you'll get if you follow the above recipe.


You can add food color, by dipping a clean toothpick into the color and wiping it on your dough (don't double dip!). I separate my dough into smaller balls to get different colors.


This homemade playdough is great for kids to play with :)

The dough can be stored in an air tight container, or sealed with a cling wrap.

No comments: