Friday, February 26, 2010

10,000 Hour Practice Rule

The thought of "they all start somewhere" is comforting to know. Looking at the Olympians, athletes, musicians, and other professionals, you can clearly see that they have all put a lot of hard work to get to where they are right now. With Google search, and Youtube, it is easier to observe that not everyone is always good in the beginning. But with practice (lots of practice), they become better (or even perfect), and that's inspiring!


Malcolm Gladwell did well to explain, in his book "Outliers, The Story of Success", that you can be good at a certain skill if you put at least 10,000 hours of practice in it. Hmm... let's say I'm a novice cook and I prepare meals for my family 2 hours a day everyday (that's 730 hours a year). I'll become good at cooking after 14 years (to get to the 10,000 hours), that is if I cook 2 hours everyday, without exception!!! Let's not despair. Let's say I got the opportunity to practice more (because I'm a chef apprentice, example only), at least 6 hours a day, then it will take me 5 years to master cooking. Haha, but that is if I have interest in cooking... if I'm really passionate about it, I would most probably put more hours and more effort in it!

What I think? Do what you like, and you'll naturally seek opportunities for practice. Personally, I find that everyone can be good at something (but not in everything), as long as you have the interest (or passion) in what you do, and that you know your own limits as well.

baked potato with chicken

Baked potato with chicken (recipe here).

No comments: