Countless times, I've heard friends and in-laws encountered thefts and purse snatchers in Kuala Lumpur... in only a span of 8 months. I've recently moved to Malaysia, but I've stayed in other countries before, where I have friends and relatives, most of them independent working women living in their own, but no persons close to me have had any problems like what I'm seeing in Malaysia. Honestly speaking I don't feel safe in Malaysia anymore.
The crime happened two times at the same house this year. The incident happened yesterday at around 6.30pm in front of MIL house. The thieves broke the front passenger's seat window with a punch and grabbed the handbags of MIL and SIL while they were waiting inside the car for the house gate to open. Everything happened very fast, and SIL ended up with some bruises on her wrists. What frustrates me the most is that the police did not even care to view the CCTV that was installed in front of the house a few months back after the first incident occurred. In Canada, the video clips are broadcast on TV during advertising hours by the Canadian police asking the public for any information on the suspects.
On top of all of this, from the CCTV video of yesterday, you can see that while all of this is happening, two pedestrians were walking by and one car drove by without doing anything!!!
Here is a list of precautions to take to reduce your risks as an easy target:
- Always be alert and be aware of your surroundings!
- If you're traveling in a vehicle, place your handbags under the seats!!!
- Don't place your handbag strap around your neck or wrist, as this will only increase your chances for injuries;
- Carry your keys separate from your handbag;
- Never label your keys with your name and address;
- Place a few dollars inside your purse, but have your credit cards, identification cards carried separately in your pocket;
- Bring only what you need... i.e. no extra currency, no bank books!!!