Monday, August 31, 2009

Date Cake Recipe

Today is Hari Merdeka, which marks Malaysia's 52nd independence day from the British colonial rule (31 August 1957).

This year, the celebration coincides with the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, which is the fasting month of Ramadan. During the Ramadan, after sunset, you can find food night markets on the sidewalks in certain areas ^^

This is a date cake I baked. It's eggless. It tastes delicious... self-praise is no praise, but I'm not kidding! mmmmm I can bake more because I can find lots of dried dates here in Malaysia, especially during Ramadan ^^


If you don't like eating date, maybe this recipe can change your mind? Try it out!

(1) Mix and grind to smooth paste: 18 dates (remove seeds), 3/4 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of sugar; (2) Add 1/2 cup of oil into mixture; (3) Slowly add, 1 tablespoon at a time, 1 cup of flour and 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Mix slowly and bake in preheat oven. I don't have a regular oven, only a very small baking grill, so I baked it for 25 minutes under 180 degree Celcius.

I adapted it to my own taste, but if you want the original recipe you can go to this site: aayisrecipes.com/2006/05/27/date-cake-eggless/

No comments: