Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Cooling tea for hot weather

Do any of these look familiar to you? These herbs are known for their "cooling" properties. Consuming it is supposed to help reduce your body heat, and prevent sore throat. My mom likes to prepare these cooling herb drinks for me. Now, I prepare it for my hubby.

My favorite is the luohan guo or lo han kuo. All you need is 1 dried luohan guo fruit, crack it open in half, and bring it to a boil in a pot of water. It's naturally sweet, so you don't need to add rock sugar.



Sometimes I like to mix the luohan guo with dried chrysanthemum. You can also make an infusion from the chrysanthemum by simply pouring boiling water onto it. Found out from my mom that I can also mix dried Goji berry with a small amount of chrysanthemum. It's a good drink for your tired eyes, if you work a lot in front of your computer ^^



This is known as the American ginseng root, or Yang Shen Xu, supposedly cooling too. Ginseng grown in North America is known for its cooling effect, but ginseng grown in Asia is known to be heaty. Bring water to a boil, then add ginseng root and continue to boil for 5 minutes.

My mom likes to boil the ginseng itself for me during exam periods. Now, I refrain from drinking ginseng tea or ginseng root tea at night because it will keep me awake for a long while.

No comments: